Since September 2010 ERB has pitted historical figures and or fictional characters against each other in highly detailed and extensively researched rap battles.
At the end of each battle – of which there are 45 (as of the end of season three)- the announcer always asks: “Who won? Who’s next? You decide!” and a screenshot(s) of the suggestion for that video’s battle shown.
So, I’ve decided to put my suggestions and those from people I also know are fans of ERB here:
- Ayrton Senna vs. Dale Earnhardt. The greatest F1 and NASCAR drivers of all time, both killed in racing accidents. Possible cameos from Bruno Senna and Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
- Sonic the Hedgehog vs. Usain Bolt. The fastest hedgehog against the fastest man alive.
- Aang & Korra vs. Jake Sully & James Cameron. A battle of the Avatars.
- Robert Wadlow vs. Jeanne Calment. The tallest person ever vs. the oldest person ever.
- Shaggy & Scooby-Doo vs. Dick Dastardly & Muttley. Hanna-Barbera man and dog duos.
- Nelson Mandela vs. Margaret Thatcher. Iconic world leaders who died in 2013, equally loved and hated in their life-times.
- Elizabeth I vs. Elizabeth II. The two greatest English Queens just so happen to share the same name.
- Oliver Cromwell vs. Jefferson Davis. Lord Protector of England and President of the Confederate States of America (the odd one out).
- Dexter (boy-genius) vs. Dexter Morgan. Which namesake is the better rapper?
- Florence Nightingale vs. Hawkeye Pierce. The most famous nurse against the most famous fictional surgeon – suggested by my sister.
ERB’s YouTube channel reached 10 million subscribers on 18th June 2014, and the main channel now has 11.02m subs – more than the population of Rwanda or Greece. It’s the 20th most subscribed to channel on YouTube (12th considering eight of the channels above it on the list have no videos, and please also consider that mainstream artists like Rihanna, One Direction, Katy Perry and Eminem’s VEVO channels are above ERB too).
The battles themselves have a combined view count of over 2bn c. 9th-13th October 2014.
Guest and cameo appearances from fellow high-profile YouTubers are not uncommon in ERB, but Snoop Dogg as Moses in Moses vs. Santa Claus and Weird Al Yankovic as Sir Isaac Newton in Sir Isaac Newton vs. Bill Nye are the highest profile cameos by far.
Barack Obama vs. Mitt Romney was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in July 2013, meaning it had sold 500,000 copies. Darth Vader vs. Adolf Hitler and Albert Einstein vs. Stephen Hawking were also certified Gold in October and November 2013 respectively.
A list of ERB’s awards and nominations can be seen here.
The fourth series starts on 10th November.